Сlinical trials in Poland – Country Profile 2022
CROMOS PHARMA IN POLAND
Poland is the largest clinical trials market in Central and Eastern Europe. Cromos Pharma has been managing clinical research in Poland since 2015 and opened a permanent office in Warsaw in February 2020.
- Strong track record, over 20 years, of producing high quality data.
- Large population (38.15 million) in comparison with neighboring countries offers great potential for patient recruitment.
- Large proportion of treatment-naïve patients in a wide range of therapeutic areas.
- Patients are eager to participate in clinical trials as a means of accessing novel therapies.
- EU member state since 2004.
- Highly skilled, qualified, experienced and motivated investigators and site staff.
- Large network of specialized medical facilities located around major urban centers.
- Lower costs – on average 30% less than US – due in part to efficiencies in patient recruitment and comparatively lower salaries and fees.
- Poland is a country located in Central Europe with a population of 38.151 million.
- It is the sixth most populous member state of the European Union, and its largest city and capital is Warsaw.
- It is however once of the EU economic least affected by the pandemic and the World Bank predicts a return to growth in 2021.
- Poland has a well-diversified economy with a strong clinical research sector and attracts a significant number of International Sponsors to conduct trials there.
- Overall, Poland is perceived as a good place to carry out clinical research due to several advantages including a large population (38+ million) with a significant naïve patient population, in a diverse range of clinical areas.
- Its membership in the EU, advanced economy, and high standard of medical care, add to the positive perceptions about conducting trials there. It also has a strong track record, across several decades, for producing high quality data corroborated by regulatory authorities, FDA and EMA.
SKILLED CLINICAL PROFESSIONALS AND STRONG HEALTHCARE INFRASTRUCTURE
Having a well-educated clinical workforce with experience in ICH GCP-compliant clinical trials allows
for efficient recruitment of skilled investigators. Most public hospitals are well disposed towards taking
part in trials and have established protocols for working with International Sponsors. Poland also boasts
excellent access to sophisticated diagnostic tools and laboratory evaluations often required
in the conduct of global trials.
POSITIVE PATIENT ATTITUDES TOWARDS TRIALS
In general, Polish investigators and their patients are favorably inclined to participate in trials as a way of accessing novel therapies not yet available through their national health system.
GOVERNMENTAL SUPPORT FOR THE SECTOR
Polish authorities are actively seeking to grow its clinical research sector e.g., to make site contracting, regulatory approvals and other processes more streamlined, and to encourage patients to take part in global trials.
A SNAPSHOT OF CLINICAL TRIALS IN POLAND
Clinical Trials in Poland
A total of 559 clinical trials were initiated between 1 January 2021 and 1 January 2022. The majority of trials initiated in this period were Phase 3 (203) with a significant number of Phase 2 (144) studies.
Using clinicaltrials.gov our team analyzed the trends in the clinical trials market in Poland between 1 January 2021 and 1 January 2022.
With high levels of patient recruitment, an established framework for conducting clinical trials, a large population of skilled clinical professionals and a reputation for producing high quality data, Poland remains a key location for International Sponsors. Cromos Pharma has opened its permanent office in Poland (February 2020) to further develop and expand its operations in the country.
Cromos Pharma provides tailored and effective clinical trial services to support the development of drugs that transform healthcare. It is an international CRO offering fully integrated services with expertise in delivering all aspects of clinical trials, in all clinical phases, throughout a wide range of therapeutic areas. Cromos Pharma delivers rapid recruitment and excellent patient retention, as well as expert study design and management. Cromos Pharma has strong regional experience in Central and Eastern Europe. Its international HQ is situated in Dublin, Ireland and its US base is in Portland, Oregon.
Read our PDF here.